Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Life as a Bachelorette

Well, Eric has been gone since Saturday on his float trip with his buddy Bryce. I had to drop the off at PaPa Bear Adventures (Ptarmigan Air). This company is only about 1/2 mile down the road, but because of some land issue problems (I think I talked about that before, if not let me know and I'll give you a rundown), we had to make a trip of about 6.5 miles for our 1/2 mile trip. Anyways, they are trying to do some bear hunting while floating the Kanektok River. (This link is for the company that fly them to the drop-off point.) Hopefully they are doing good. I haven't heard from them yet, but they have a satellite phone with them. It's $2.00/minute and I'm not sure how the battery is. They are suppose to be done and back on September 20. They may come in early if they get their hunt done. So until Eric gets back I probably won't have any pictures to post (Eric has the camera)!

On another note, I got to help out with the high school's Hunter's Education course yesterday. We did a portion of the field course where they go out and work on whether a situation would be a good shot or not. Tomorrow we get to do the air rifle course for shooting performance. I'm so glad that I got myself certified to help with the Hunter's Safety course. It's very obvious that it's needed here in Bethel, so that means it's needed even more in the villages. I'm hoping I can work this into camps next summer.

Speaking of camps, I'm not sure if you all remember my little breakdown this summer over the people in Washington DC calling and talking about pulling funding for the program (more importantly my job!). Anyways, we got a letter in the mail from the Department of Education stating that our program was slated for non-continuation of funding, but since we have shown that we are working on improving our numbers they feel that we are showing progress and decided to let us keep our funding. Big load off the shoulders. Another new development that has come into play is that I am being put on a new grant as the program manager. We haven't gotten the funding yet, probably won't know until sometime next summer. I'll tell you more about it as the details play out. I'm not sure who up here reads my blog, but I don't want to be saying too much because certain people may not know yet.

Well, I am going to get back to surfing the web. Talk to you all soon.

No comments: