Monday, January 19, 2009

I'm Back!!!!!!!!

The last 7 days have been interesting to say the least. We made it to Anchorage without a problem, but things got interesting really fast on Tuesday morning! We woke up about 6:30 (Eric had to be at his seminar by 8:00). As we listened to the radio we realized that there had been some freezing rain going on early Tuesday morning (1-2 am). The schools had been cancelled, they weren't running the city buses, even the Air Force base was running late. Good thing Wal-mart was right next door to the hotel we were staying at. It's been a long time since I've been in a Wal-mart!!!!! I was also trying to contact the lady I work with that was in the hospital with her son (I had a laptop to deliver to her, see a few of the previous posts). Since the roads were better Tuesday afternoon (temps warmed up to 47!), Eric and I decided to do a little shopping. Wednesday morning was much of the same. Not as icy, but still icy enough. I was planning on taking the city buses to one of the other malls, but they weren't running again! So I went to the mall that was right next to the hotel. Prime hotel spot isn't it???!!!! The have an Old Navy and a Gap. Wednesday afternoon Eric and I did more shopping. Thursday morning we had a break through! The buses started running at 9 am and I was able to get to the mall I had been trying to get to all week! The have a "big" Joanns store!!!!!! I had fun, but it took be almost 90 minutes to get there, so I did have very much time to shop, but it was enough. Look at my "craft" bounty from my trip. This includes stuff from both Joanns and Michaels. The first is a general picture of everything. The second is the yarn, ribbon and buttons. The third picture is one of my favorites. These are the $1 stamps that both Joanns and Michaels have. I love the $1 spot!!!!!!

The bummer of the trip is that Anchorage just opened (back in October) a Target. The first for the state. I wanted so bad to go to Target, but it is located way out by the base and unfortunately those roads were never really great enough were I felt comfortable travelling them. The buses were also not running that far out of town on Thursday. We got back to Bethel on Friday night on one of the few flights that had left in the past 3 days.

The weather was bad enough to cause problems for the K300, Bethels Dog Sled Race. They were suppose to start on Friday, but because of the warming weather and rain, there was too many "swimming" holes. They didn't want a repeat of last years race. Luckily on Friday night we had a cooling wave with high winds come through to help refreeze what had thawed. We had temperatures drop into the teens and winds of 50+ mph and gusts past 70 mph. They finally got things going Sunday afternoon at noon and they cut out the last leg of the race. Racers are already on their way back to Bethel. They should be coming in early tomorrow morning.

No comments: