Monday, March 26, 2007

Let it Snow!

Waqaa (hello),

First of all let me start out by saying Happy Birthday to my sister Raquel and my brother Nick. They both ended up being born on the same day. Now on to the good stuff.........

Woke up this morning and it was blowing snow. The schools were cancelled by 7:00 am. Eric and I kept listening in the hopes that there would be more cancellation, but there wasn't. We had a 3-4 foot snow drift in our driveway. Good thing it was the light fluffy stuff.

This past weekend I took a sewing class on making the traditional "qaspeq". It's pronounced kus-puk. They are shirts that both men and woment wear. I haven't gotten a picture yet, but I will soon. I'm trying to make another one, but I'm going to modify it a little. They are pretty boxy shirts and I like mine more fitted. We'll see what happens.

This coming weekend is the big Camai festival. It's a big dance festival where natives from around the region and elsewhere come and dance. They also have native arts and crafts and food. I'm going to see if I can find a video camera and take some footage to send home. If I do get a camera I'll try to take video of the town also.

Well, I need to go so I can watch Deal or No Deal. There is a lady from Alaska on tonight. She is wearing some of the traditional clothing and so are some of her relatives. I guess they are also doing some native drumming. She's from Dillingham, which is way south of here, but still Alaska is Alaska, just like South Dakota is South Dakota!

Tangerciqamken atata (See you later).

No comments: